Go Back   Prebait Forums > Venues > Northern Ireland > Down

Old 09-23-2010, 05:41 PM

Default Hazelwood 'carp' fishery Ballygoawn

I have fished here once before and only caught tiddlers. Didnt believe the man that there were carp in it as he wasnt talking about it much and seemed unsure. My friend then said that a guy from his work caught a 22lb carp in it last week, was wondering is there bigger fish in this lake? Has anyone fished it?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:51 PM

Smile

how you doing lad, haven't fished it at all myself, but have been looking into it recently, called the phone number, got the cleaner, she told me it was a syndicate, although i think thats wrong. any time i've driven past the solid wood doors are closed. It's an old quarry, guys in the village tackle say it's a good lake.
Do you ever fish the lake opposite? looks like a typical pike/perch lake to me, been thinking of giving it a go, any info appreciated
Old 09-23-2010, 07:27 PM

If You Guys Looking To Fish A Good Fishery Go To Kennys Enniskillen Road Out Of Omagh.3pnds To Fish All Day Lovely Venue Kenny Top Drawer Match Angler A Real Gent And Stuffed To The Neck With Good Fish Bream Tench Roach Rudd Perch Carp 3 Species And Trout.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:34 PM

there is tench in hazlewood and meant to be carp but have never known anyone whos caught a carp out of it the lake on the otherside of the road is called magherascouse lake its got pike roach and perch
Old 09-23-2010, 07:58 PM

hi lads i know for a fact that there are carp at hazelwood me and noal the owner put 1400 in the 2 lakes i know noal very well and he would go out of his way to give you agood days fishing we went to tipperary 2 years ago and put 700 carp in each lake ,there is some monster pike in the big lake and tench as well i have had some great days fishing at hazelwood you want to give it another go, tight lines lads.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davydevil View Post
hi lads i know for a fact that there are carp at hazelwood me and noal the owner put 1400 in the 2 lakes i know noal very well and he would go out of his way to give you agood days fishing we went to tipperary 2 years ago and put 700 carp in each lake ,there is some monster pike in the big lake and tench as well i have had some great days fishing at hazelwood you want to give it another go, tight lines lads.
cheers davy must give it another go it was more than two years since i last fished it
Old 09-24-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davydevil View Post

davy thanks very much, yes i have fished this lake before but had no clue of how to fish it, now im a little more knowledgeable and im hoping to fish it on sunday. Yes sometimes the wooden fence has been shut but i rang 'noal' and in advance told him of my arrival so hopefully gates will open this time! He said it was stoked well with 1300 carp when they first opened, (i guess a good few years ago) so maybe carp have gotten bigger. Davy, there are 2 lakes in it, which is better? The one closest to the house with the window looking out on it or the farther one back? Im hoping to land some carp on sunday, got my unhooking mat and a load of carp grub! If i don catch, at least im feeding them with my freebies! haha
Old 09-25-2010, 04:43 PM

Cheers to all above for the info, will look that venue up BigB,
Just back from half a day at hazelwood, started off somewhere else but it was grim so made the call early to go and try hazelwood, since it was only for a few hours and our first time the fella let us fish 2 rods each, very good of him, i fished a waggler at about 2 foot and had bite every cast near enough, roach, rudd and small perch best roach to about a pound. My other rod was ledgered sweetcorn tench being the target, not a nibble, also tried the worm but only perch on it. Any tips for catching tench method/bait etc appreciated, only ever caught them at willis's lake in belfast, that was on maggot.

PS the casters were deadly for the bigger roach.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:56 PM

was there aswell today, didnt enjoy it to be honest. People fishing got on well with each other, helping hands all around. Nice perch caught and at the end i landed about 15 rudd/roach/perch. Fished for bigger, was terrbile tho, highly doubt there are ANY carp in the lake, i baited the area i fished with pellets/groundbait/maggots/sweetcorn and had the usual boilie. Not a bite whatsoever. For 10 it was far to expensive for the fish you catch. I didnt even see a Carp rise or anyone catch any bigger than 1lb. Doubt theres pike aswell. Fished mackerel for an hour, and...no bites. Wouldnt recommend unless you 10 years or younger.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:55 PM

Haven't fished it for a good while but I would agree with Davy there is plenty of carp in it but it can be hard work catching them. The smaller lake is atleast 25ft deep in places so sometimes they can be hard to find but I have seen decent ones coming out of it.

Tags
fishery, hazelwood